A rental service hires out vehicles to carry goods or passengers.

How do I apply?

You'll need to apply at a driver licensing agent. 

Find a driver licensing agent in your area

You'll need to provide:

For any questions regarding Transport Service Licence applications please email tsl@nzta.govt.nz

Persons in control

Under section 30L of the Land Transport Act 1998, Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency must be satisfied that anyone who will have, or is likely to have, control or involvement in the operation of the transport service is a fit and proper person.

Anyone who has direct or indirect control of any part of the management of the organisation must complete a Personal details form (TL02) [PDF, 83 KB] and provide evidence of identity. This is so we can determine if they all meet the requirements of a fit and proper person. 

Requirements for persons in control

Annual TSL fees

There’s an annual TSL fee for each vehicle operated under your TSL. You'll pay this as part of each vehicle's licence fees (rego).

Vehicle type Annual TSL fee (incl GST)

Small rental vehicle (vehicles 3500kg or less)


Large rental vehicle (vehicles over 3500kg)


More information about annual TSL fees

Penalties for operating an unlicensed service

It’s illegal to operate an unlicensed rental service. If you’re convicted, you may face a fine of up to $10,000. The fine increases to a maximum of $25,000 for subsequent convictions.

In addition to the fine, the court may impound vehicles used in an unlicensed service for up to 90 days (no matter who owns them).

More information

More information about running a rental service