CONTACT CENTRE WAIT TIMES: Our Contact Centre is currently experiencing significant wait times. View frequently asked questions

SCAM ALERTS: Report a phishing scam or learn about the latest phishing emails

ROAD USER CHARGES (RUC) DISCOUNT: Find out more about the temporary RUC reduction scheme

ONLINE SERVICES: We are currently experiencing issues with all our online services at the moment. We are working to resolve the services as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services, extensions and more

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

There are two main types of truck: those that can be used to transport goods (goods service vehicles) and those used for towing services (vehicle recovery).

All trucks (no matter what type of service they are used for) must meet certain standards and rules for their class.

More information about vehicle standards and classes


Goods service vehicles transport goods. 'Goods' are defined in the Land Transport Act 1998, with a fuller definition provided in the Carriage of Goods Act 1979, and include:

  • goods, baggage and chattels of any description

  • animals and plants

  • money, documents and all other things of value.

Land Transport Act 1998(external link)
Carriage of Goods Act 1979(external link)

Vehicle recovery

Vehicle recovery services tow or carry motor vehicles on a road – regardless of the size or design of the vehicle, and whether or not the towing or carrying is done by the person intending to repair the vehicle.

You can find out more about vehicle recovery services in section 10 of the Operator Licensing Rule.

Land Transport Rule: Operator Licensing 2017