What you need to know to become a Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency-approved examiner to conduct the basic handling skills test (BHST)
See our BHST information for members of the public
You’ll have to meet a range of criteria
If you’re interested in becoming a Waka Kotahi approved examiner for conducting the basic handling skills test, you’ll have to meet a range of criteria. To be approved by Waka Kotahi you'll need to:
- hold a current Class 6 Full driver licence
- have a current ‘I6’ (driving instructor) endorsement on your driver licence
- provide a CV detailing evidence of recent riding experience, including any professional motorcycle training, instruction, mentoring and ongoing professional development
- undertake a test containing 21 questions from the BHST manual. A score of 19 or more is required to pass the test.
- using a paper-based scenario, correctly complete a BHST score sheet
- layout a compliant BHST course to the required standard
- successfully undertake a BHST to the required standard
- conduct a BHST to the required standard.
Download the approval criteria
Approval criteria you need to meet to become a basic handling skills test examiner (motorcycles)
Basic handling skills test manual (motorcycles)
Make an application to become a BHST examiner
If you meet the criteria in the approval criteria document, you're invited to make an application to become a Waka Kotahi approved BHST examiner.
Email your completed application form and supporting documentation to DTTadmin@nzta.govt.nz or to your local licensing officer (you can find these details on the application form).
Application form to become a BHST examiner [PDF, 209 KB]