As part of getting your motorcycle licence you must pass three practical riding tests (unless you choose the CBTA option). The tests are:

  • the basic handling skills test, which you’ll do with an examiner who has been approved to do this by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency and which you must pass before applying for your learner licence
    Basic handling skills test
  • the restricted licence practical test, which you must pass to get your restricted licence (you do not need to pass this test if you successfully complete the 6R CBTA course)
  • the full licence practical test, which you must pass to get your full licence (you do not need to pass this test if you successfully complete the 6F CBTA course).

For the restricted and full licence tests you will be followed by a driver testing officer, who will observe your riding and assess whether it is good enough to progress to the next level of licence.

This section gives you more information about the restricted and full practical riding tests, which will help you be fully prepared when you sit them.

Why have practical riding tests?

To make our roads safe, it is essential that everyone who drives or rides on them has the skills they need to be safe and responsible. It’s not enough to just know all the road rules. You also need to be able to follow them when you’re out on the road, and you need to have the skills to handle a motorcycle properly.

That’s exactly what the practical riding tests assess and why they are such an important part of the licence testing process. They make sure you have mastered the basic riding skills. They also test how well you ride in a variety of situations, such as on the open road, around town or at a busy intersection.

Make sure you are ready for your practical test

By the time you come to sit your practical tests you will already know how to ride. However, the tests are not just about testing your ability to ride. The tests are also about determining if you can ride safely, while adhering to all road rules - if you can’t display these attributes, then you will fail your test.

The restricted and full tests are tough tests that assess your driving skills. It is recommended that you get plenty of practice (at least 120 hours if you have a learner licence) before you sit a practical test. 

Motorcycle (class 6) practical licence tests

Booking practical driving tests online

To book a practical test online you will need:

  • your current driver licence
  • a valid credit card to pay the application fee if you're booking the test for the first time.

You can book the following practical driving tests:

  • restricted licence tests for a new class (car and motorcycle)
  • full licence tests for a new class (car, motorcycle and heavy vehicles)
  • on-road safety tests
  • overseas conversions*
  • requalifications*.

* You will still need to book your theory test at a driver licensing agent.

Book a practical test online(external link)

Make sure you read the information carefully when making your booking.

When you’ve booked online, a confirmation slip will be emailed to you. It’s a good idea to print this out and keep it until your test. The online booking service is available seven days a week, 24 hours a day.

You need to book all other tests in person at a driver licensing agent.

You will need to arrive at your test location at least 30 minutes before your test, or visit a driver licensing agent prior to your test, to:

  • have your application form processed
  • have your identification checked (bring your driver licence).

Depending on the type of test you are having, they may also:

  • take your photograph
  • collect your signature
  • check your eyesight (unless you provide an eyesight certificate)
  • check any other relevant certificates, such as a medical certificate or advanced driving skills certificate.

If you don’t pass the eyesight check, or provide an eyesight certificate prior to your test time, you won’t be given a temporary licence even if you pass your test. You’ll need to complete the eyesight requirements before your new licence can be issued.