Changing the name on your licence

If you legally change your name, you can apply to change it on your driver licence.

You'll need to provide evidence of your name change. 

Find out what evidence is acceptable to change the name on your driver licence

How to apply to change your name on your licence

You can:

If you've changed names several times, the agent may request to see all of your original certificates and name change documents. This is so they can track the name on your current licence through to the name you want to appear on the new licence.

Changing the gender details on your driver licence record

Your gender isn’t printed on your photo driver licence: it’s only recorded in the Driver Licence Register.

If you want to change your gender recorded on the Driver Licence Register, you can do this when you’re making any type of driver licence or endorsement application. Just write your new gender on your application form and we’ll update it in the Driver Licence Register.

If you’re not due to make an application soon, but you want your gender to be updated in the Driver Licence Register, call us on 0800 822 422.

Gender on the Driver Licence Register

Change of address

Update your address online