Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua this week, as part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Delays are expected at times and motorists are advised to plan for these delays and allow extra time for their journeys.
Work sites for the week starting Sunday 28 March
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge Underpass – The underpass remains closed to the public and alternative access across SH30/Te Ngae Road for pedestrians and cyclists is via the signalised pedestrian crossings at the Sala Street intersection. Detour signage and directions are in place.
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge – Work at the Puarenga Bridge continues as the new, narrower median island nears structural completion. A slight lane shift for westbound and eastbound traffic remains in place. Any lane closures required for off-loading materials or pouring concrete will be done during off-peak hours when delays are expected to be minor.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street to Vaughan Road – Shoulder and/or lane closures will be in place throughout the week as construction of the shared path and upgrading of services continue along the northern side of SH30/Te Ngae Road. Any lane closures will be outside of peak hours.
Due to the number of hazards along this section, the shared path on the northern side has been closed to ensure public safety. Pedestrians and cyclists are asked to use the signalised crossings at either Iles Road or Sala Street and use the shared path on the southern side, crossing Tarawera Road at the temporary pedestrian crossing.
- State Highway 30, Vaughan Road – Access into Vaughan Road from SH30/Te Ngae Road is closed until mid-April. Contractors encountered unexpected challenges at the intersection with Vaughan Road where they are working on the slip lane and median island. This has required contractors to close the entry and exit to locate and upgrade the stormwater services before the planned work can be completed.
This closure has caused delays to eastbound traffic – between 4pm–6pm and in the morning peak. People are advised to allow extra time for their journeys. Access out of Vaughan Road is now open. Surfacing of the slip lane is planned for Wednesday 31 March to Thursday 1 April.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – Surfacing of the area outside The Good Eastern Taphouse is scheduled for Wednesday 31 March to Thursday 1 April.
The temporary lane shift for traffic entering Tarawera Road remains in place until mid-April.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills to Iles Road – Contractors continue construction of the shared path between Allen Mills and Iles Road as well as preparing the fourth lane for surfacing, scheduled for Wednesday 31 March to Thursday 1 April. Eastbound traffic continues to use the flush median during this time. The new lane is scheduled to be open by mid-April.
Temporary speed limits of 30km/h or 50km/h are in place at the above work sites, including when workers are off-site.
Pedestrians and cyclists are encouraged to use the signalised crossings at either Sala Street or Iles Road, and the temporary pedestrian crossing at Tarawera Road.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed.
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with: