The NZ Transport Agency advises all road users that SH6 linking the West Coast to Otago has now reopened after being closed all morning due to snow
State Highway 73 between Canterbury and the West Coast via Porters and Arthur’s Pass was closed briefly due to heavy snow but has reopened to vehicles with chains and no towing trucks/vehicles. Road users are advised to keep an eye on the traffic map(external link) as more snow is forecast.
The Lewis Pass route (SH7) is being closely monitored by Transport Agency road crews.
More snow is forecast to fall on the alpine passes and over the south-west of the South Island today.
Sea swells along the coast
Sea swells are being closely monitored on SH6, particularly north of Hokitika and around Bruce Bay in South Westland. If necessary the highway will be closed overnight if conditions worsen, says Margarita Gonzalez-Borrero, Transport Agency Maintenance Contract Manager.
- Please check the traffic map(external link) before heading off.
- High tide is around 7 pm this evening and in past coastal swells sea debris has been flung onto the highway.
Arthur’s Pass, Otira route, SH73 today
- SH6 Cromwell to Gibbston – Area Warning - Snow – Road users are advised to take extra care.
- SH6 Omarama to Tarras – Area Warning - Snow – Road users are advised to take extra care.
- The Crown Range, managed by Queenstown Lakes District Council, between Wanaka and Queenstown, was closed this morning but due to be updated 11 am.
Southland: SH 94 Te Anau to Milford Sound closed all day, next update 7.30 am Friday 25 May, Kingston to Te Anau care needed
- SH94 Hollyford Valley Rd intersection to Chasm Stream Bridge – Snow – road closed. The road is to remain closed for the rest of the today. The next update is expected by 7:30 am tomorrow morning. http://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/roadclosures/213799(external link)
- Te Anau to Kingston, care needed, State Highways 94 and 6: Road crews are busy keeping this route clear of snow and ice but extreme caution is needed.
How to stay up to date:
Transport Agency Twitter and Facebook accounts(external link)