SH2 closure for progress on Te Maunga interchange
State Highway 2 (SH2) between Bayfair roundabout and Te Maunga intersection is scheduled to close from approximately 1.00am on Saturday 15 January until 5.30am on Monday 17 January 2022 to safely install barriers and ducting on the SH2 bridge of the Te Maunga interchange.
This is a significant closure that will impact travel times for locals and holiday-makers over summer. Where possible, please travel outside of this closure, use alternative routes and allow extra time for travel.
Throughout January, significant road works will be underway on several of Tauranga’s key roads. Your trips will take longer, especially if travelling on State Highway 2 Takitimu Drive and along Cameron Road. Pack water and snacks and remember to check journeys.nzta.govt.nz.
Reason for closure
Due to the installation of concrete barriers and service ducting taking place above SH2, the closure is necessary to keep road users safe. These are some of the final elements to be installed on the Te Maunga interchange prior to its opening to motorists in 2022.
Work will take place during day and night shifts to minimise the closure’s duration. If this work is impacted by weather or other unforeseen issues, it will be carried out on the next available weekend.
For high productivity motor vehicles (HPMV), an alternative detour route is available via Truman Lane, State Highway 29A and either the Takitimu Drive Toll Road or Cambridge then Moffat Road.
For the general public, a signposted detour will be available via Girven Road, Maranui Street, Sandhurst Drive and the Sandhurst Drive/Mangatawa Interchange. This is the same detour route that was used during the closure of SH2 between Bayfair roundabout and Te Maunga intersection in July 2021 (when bridge beams were installed).
The following detours will be in place during the closure:
- SH2 towards Papamoa (TEL east bound): detour via Girven Road, Maranui Street, Sandhurst Drive and the Sandhurst/Mangatawa interchange
- SH2 towards Mount Maunganui and Tauranga (TEL northbound): detour via the Sandhurst/Mangatawa interchange, Sandhurst Drive, Maranui Street and Girven Road
Motorists travelling between Papamoa and Maungatapu in either direction along TEL/SH29A can still use the signalised intersection at Te Maunga.
- SH2 towards SH29A/Maungatapu: detour via Girven Road, Maranui Street, Sandhurst Drive, the Sandhurst/Mangatawa interchange and Truman Lane.
- SH29A towards Mount Maunganui/SH2 northbound: after turning right at the Te Maunga intersection, detour via the Sandhurst/Mangatawa interchange, Sandhurst Drive, Maranui Street and Girven Road.
- There will be no left turn from Exeter Street onto SH2, no right turn from Maranui Street onto Girven Road and no right turn from the Sandhurst/Mangatawa interchange onto TEL towards Mount Maunganui/Tauranga.
Traffic management crew will be stationed at the Sandhurst Drive/Maranui Street roundabout throughout the closure, and directing traffic to improve flow along the detour route as required.
Residents on SH2/Maunganui Road between Girven Road and Exeter Street will be able to access their properties via Eversham Road, Exeter Street and the southbound lanes of SH2. Information about access arrangements will be provided directly to these residents.
We appreciate your patience
A huge thanks for your patience while we do this critical work.