Last updated 12 December 2017
Plan your journey between Picton and Christchurch
Welcome to our P2C page – the official travel information source for travel between Picton and Christchurch.
- Travel from Picton to Christchurch on the alternate route ONLY (via state highways 63, 6, 65 and 7 through Lewis Pass).
- State Highway 1 reopens Friday 15 December afternoon (daytime travel only).
- Kaikōura is accessible 24/7 via the Inland Road (Route 70) and via SH1 South when it’s open (check open/closed schedule).
WARNING: Google Maps sometimes displays State Highway 1 status incorrectly.
- SH1 north of Kaikōura is closed between Mangamaunu and Clarence to all traffic.
- SH1 south of Kaikōura is closed at night between Peketa and Goose Bay. Operating on an open/closed schedule during the day.
- Check the schedule online (external link) or call 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49).
Upper south Island travel guide
Access information in French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Arabic and Indonesian.
Stay up-to-date with travel information