Land Transport Rule
Vehicle Standards Compliance Amendment (No 2) 2007
Note: This Rule should be read in conjunction with the consolidated version of Land Transport Rule: Vehicle Standards Compliance 2002, which includes previous Rule amendments.
Land Transport Rule: Vehicle Standards Compliance Amendment (No 2) 2007 amends Land Transport Rule: Vehicle Standards Compliance 2002, which sets out requirements for controlling the entry and in-service inspection and certification processes for vehicles operating on New Zealand roads.
The objectives of this amendment Rule is to:
- relax the requirements for axle weight ratings, to take into account that Japanese vehicles are not given axle-set ratings (and the ‘application GVM’ that is specified for a vehicle for use in Japan is conservative enough not to require axle-set ratings to be determined or calculated for operation in New Zealand); and
- provide for articulated combinations weighing more than 3500 kg to be individually subject to a warrant of fitness test, rather than being tested under the certificate of fitness system.
For the purposes of consultation, amendments proposed to Land Transport Rule: Vehicle Standards Compliance 2002 and nine other Land Transport Rules were combined into a single draft Rule, Land Transport Rule: Omnibus Amendment 2007 (the Omnibus Amendment Rule).
On 3 August 2007, Land Transport New Zealand sent details of the amendment proposals by letter or email to approximately 2500 groups and individuals who had registered an interest in the Rules to be amended, seeking submissions. The draft Omnibus Amendment Rule was made available through the Land Transport NZ Help Desk and, together with Questions and Answers, was also available on the Land Transport NZ website. The availability of the draft for comment was publicised in the metropolitan daily newspapers in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin and in the New Zealand Gazette. Land Transport NZ received 35 submissions on the draft Omnibus Amendment Rule, of which two commented on the proposed amendments in this Rule.
Following consultation, the provisions in the draft Omnibus Amendment Rule were split into 10 separate amendment Rules, including this amendment Rule. The submissions that were received were taken into account in drafting this amendment Rule before it was submitted to the Minister for Transport Safety for signing.
1.1(1) This Rule is Land Transport Rule: Vehicle Standards Compliance Amendment (No 2) 2007.
1.1(2) This Rule amends Land Transport Rule: Vehicle Standards Compliance 2002.
This Rule comes into force on 17 January 2008.
2.1(1) Paragraph 8.3(3)(c) is amended by deleting the words “a heavy vehicle or”.
2.1(2) Subclause 8.3(3) is amended by inserting the following paragraph after paragraph (c):
“(ca) for a heavy vehicle, details of its:
- “(i) front-axle weight ratings (if available); and
- “(ii) rear-axle group weight ratings (if available); and
- “(iii) front-axle tyre designation and tyre capacity; and
- “(iv) rear-axle group tyre designation and tyre capacity; and”
Schedule 2 is amended by revoking paragraph (e).
Land Transport Rule - Vehicle Standards Compliance Amendment (No 2) 2007 - Rule 35001/4
Land Transport New Zealand, Ikiiki Whenua Aotearoa