In addition to $29 million in funding, Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency is developing a range of support options for teams who deliver Innovating Streets projects.
The options listed below have been informed by interviews with a group of practitioners from around New Zealand, and respond to the support they expect their organisations to value throughout project delivery.
The list describes possible support options; we will work with applicants to the Innovating Streets programme over coming months to finalise which support options will be made available. In addition to providing project teams with support, we intend to establish a community of practice across projects that enables peer-to-peer sharing of expertise and lessons learned.
Organisational support from Waka Kotahi
- Project-specific subject matter expertise for subjects including the following:
- Project co-design with stakeholders
- Communications and telling the ‘why’ story
- Traffic management
- Street design
- Maintenance and operations
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Hands-on support for projects (eg Waka Kotahi senior management available to present wider context and strategic objectives of the programme to decision makers).
- Support navigating legal and regulatory processes and requirements (including Traffic Control Device Rule and road closures).
- Dedicated email address for all Innovating Streets questions monitored by the core Waka Kotahi team: InnovatingStreets@nzta.govt.nz
Technical guidance and workshops
- Online guidance (including good practice, technical design recommendations, case studies and evidence) with regular updates based on sector needs and targeted to areas teams need the most support in.
- Comprehensive toolbox on how to involve communities throughout projects.
- Webinars or workshops focused on capability-building to deliver successful projects, covering subjects such as:
- Seven factors of success
- Understanding the ‘why’ of your project
- Intervention logic
- Refining your project design
- How to measure success
- Building community support for your long-term goals through your project
- The co-design process
- Inclusion in a community of practice to connect people and knowledge within and outside of the sector.
- Access to a tactical urbanism preferred supplier list for professional project support.
- Connections with teams running similar projects for peer reviews.