CONTACT CENTRE WAIT TIMES: Our Contact Centre is currently experiencing significant wait times. View frequently asked questions

SCAM ALERTS: Report a phishing scam or learn about the latest phishing emails

ROAD USER CHARGES (RUC) DISCOUNT: Find out more about the temporary RUC reduction scheme

ONLINE SERVICES: We are currently experiencing issues with all our online services at the moment. We are working to resolve the services as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services, extensions and more

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

Your responsibilities as the registered person

You’re legally required to let us know immediately when you buy or sell a vehicle.

When you let us know you’ve bought a vehicle, we’ll record you as the registered person in the Motor Vehicle Register.

What it means to be the registered person

The registered person is the person responsible for the vehicle, but this isn’t the same thing as the legal owner. The Motor Vehicle Register doesn’t record legal ownership.

You need make sure the vehicle meets the requirements that allow you to legally drive it on the road. That includes keeping the vehicle in a safe condition, and paying fees and infringements.

Who can be a registered person

  • A private individual aged 15 or over.
  • A limited liability company.
  • A government department, local authority or official board.
  • An incorporated society or club.

What you’re responsible for

As the registered person you must:

Keep your address and contact details up to date

Make sure you keep your address and contact details up to date, so you don’t miss important notices and reminders for your vehicle and driver licence.

Update your address and contact details