Skip to content

Access keys for

  • h Home
  • m Menu
  • 0 Show list of access keys
  • 2 Skip to content
  • 3 Skip to top

Application to change to H RUC vehicle type (RUCCV-H)

Use this application form if you are applying to change your RUC vehicle type to/from an H vehicle type.

See a full list of H vehicle types

To change to an H vehicle type you must have a permit issued under the Land Transport Rule: Vehicle Dimensions and Mass.

Find out more about high productivity motor vehicles

If you regularly carry overweight loads you can apply for an H vehicle type, enabling you to carry weights up to the maximum weight specified on your permit at all times. 

If you only operate your vehicle over it's RUC weight occasionally, or carry varying overweight loads, you may want to purchase additional RUC licences to cover specific journeys instead. You can do this at an agent using a Road user charges application for additional licence form (RUCAD). 

There is a fee of $46.00 (incl GST) for this application. This fee is non-refundable, regardless of whether your application is approved or declined.

If you would prefer to make your H vehicle type application by mail, you can download the application form and send it in to us instead of completing this form online.

Download the Road user charges application to change to H RUC vehicle type form (RUCCV-H)

Application type

Are you applying to change back from an H vehicle type to your original RUC type?

Vehicle details

A change to H vehicle type will include one prime mover and up to two trailers. 

The application fee of $46.00 is also applicable when changing back to the original RUC vehicle type. We will not process your application until the payment has been made.

The RUC vehicle type will be changed back to the vehicle type that was previously recorded on the Motor Vehicle Register. We will let you know via email or phone when we have processed this change. 

Prime mover

Other vehicles to be used in combination with prime mover

Buying a new RUC licence


If you still have remaining distance on your old RUC licence, you will need to apply for a refund by completing the current hubodometer reading field above. Once we have processed your application, you will need to buy a new RUC licence starting from the current hubodometer reading. We will let you know how to go about this when we contact you.

Permit details

A permit is required for all H vehicle type applications. 

Registered person details

Applicant details

Payment details

The fee for this application is \$46.00  (incl GST). This fee is non-refundable, regardless of whether your application is approved or declined. The fee contributes to the cost of processing your application. We will not process your application until the payment has been made.

How would you like to pay the application fee?

Please provide a contact phone number for us to call you and take credit card payment over the phone. We will try to call you as soon as we receive your application, but in case that is not possible please let us know when your preferred contact time would be. Or you can call us on 0800 655 644 between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday.

What is your preferred contact timeframe?
Do you require a GST receipt?

A GST receipt will be sent to you after your application has been processed.

We will try to process your application on the same day that we receive it. However please allow three working days for your application to be processed. We will let you know via email or phone when the change has taken place and you can purchase your new licence.

Buying a new licence


When buying a new RUC licence you will need to buy an 'overlap' licence that starts from the current hubodometer reading. You must buy enough RUC to exceed the end distance of the existing RUC licence(s). Any unused portion of the licence will be automatically credited against the cost of the new licence. 

The particulars you provide will become part of the Motor Vehicle Register. Collection, dissemination and release of this information is authorised by the Road User Charges Act 2012. Corresponding information held on other parts of the Land Transport Register may be amended. 

Under the Electoral Act 1993, s 263B, the Electoral Enrolment Centre operates an authorised information matching programme with the NZ Transport Agency. The purpose of this programme is to assist in keeping the Electoral Roll up-to-date.

The Privacy Act 1993 provides rights of access to, and correction of, any readily retrievable personal information held about you. Should you wish to exercise these rights please contact the NZ Transport Agency, Palmerston North Office, Private Bag 11777, Palmerston North 4442.