CONTACT CENTRE WAIT TIMES: Our Contact Centre is currently experiencing significant wait times. View frequently asked questions

SCAM ALERTS: Report a phishing scam or learn about the latest phishing emails

ROAD USER CHARGES (RUC) DISCOUNT: Find out more about the temporary RUC reduction scheme

ONLINE SERVICES: We are currently experiencing issues with all our online services at the moment. We are working to resolve the services as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services, extensions and more

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

Eligibility for rebates

Who can get a rebate?

You may be able to claim back regional fuel tax you paid if:

  • the fuel was used for commercial purposes, government or charitable organisations, and
  • the fuel wasn’t used in a vehicle on the road, and 
  • the fuel was used for an eligible use.

If you are a private individual (not in business), you may be able to claim back regional fuel tax you paid if:

  • You have diesel delivered to a home for home heating
  • You use fuel in a specialised off-road vehicle.

All rebates can be claimed for fuel purchased from 1 July 2018.

Find out if you’re eligible to receive a rebate.

What can you claim

This table provides general guidance only. For specific rules refer to the Land Transport Management (Regional Fuel Tax) Regulations 2018(external link)

Fuel types
  • Petrol
  • Diesel
  • Biofuel
  • Avgas
  • CNG
  • LPG
(these are not taxed)
Type of use
  • Commercial purposes
  • Government use
  • Charitable organisations
  • Diesel home heating (delivered by a fuel supplier)
  • Most personal, household or domestic uses.

Vehicles that are:

Registered vehicles that are:
  • a general purpose vehicle, or
  • subject to Road User Charges (RUC).
  • Commercial vessels
  • Search and rescue vessels.
  • Recreational boats
Other commercial purpose (not a vehicle or vessel) Commercial equipment that could include:
  • generators
  • lawn mowers
  • chainsaws
  • sawmills
  • pumps
  • light towers.
  • Aircraft
  • Personal, household, or domestic equipment that could include:
    • residential lawnmowers
    • gardening equipment.