Skip to content

Access keys for nzta.govt.nz

  • h Home
  • m Menu
  • 0 Show list of access keys
  • 2 Skip to content
  • 3 Skip to top

Extended closure of SH6 at Nevis Bluff

|

Motorists can expect extended delays resulting from blasting work to improve safety at the Nevis Bluff on SH 6 about midway between Cromwell and Queenstown.

Motorists can expect extended delays resulting from blasting work to improve safety at the Nevis Bluff on SH 6 about midway between Cromwell and Queenstown.

The New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) says drilling and blasting work on the Bluff above the highway is vital to ensure the safety of road users, but makes traffic delays unavoidable. The job involves removing around 200m3 of fractured rock to stabilise an area that has been assessed as posing a potential hazard to road users.

Subject to weather conditions, there will be an extended traffic delay between 1:00pm and 2:00pm on Wednesday 3 March 2010 for blasting work.

Project Manager John Jarvis says outside the extended blast delay, work will continue between 8:00am and 5:00pm Monday to Friday with openings for traffic on the hour every hour during these times. Between the regular hourly openings there will be traffic delays of up to 20 minutes.

Work at the Bluff is expected to be completed by Friday 19 March 2010.

The NZTA indicated earlier this month, that these delays would be occurring and regrets any inconvenience to road users and appreciates their patience while this essential safety work is carried out.

The NZTA will provide regular updates on this work. Information on this project will also be available on the NZTA’s Highway Info website at www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic(external link).

ENDS

For more information please contact:

Bob Nettleton
Regional Communications Advisor
T    DDI 03 951 3005    
M   021 954 928    
F    03 951 3013
E-mail bob.nettleton@nzta.govt.nz

Top