Important information for drivers.
Important information for drivers:
- The Metservice has issued a strong wind watch for Wellington, eastern Marlborough Sounds and the Kaikoura Coast. It is in effect this afternoon and into this evening (Friday, 24 November) with severe gales forecast. Road users - particularly motorcyclists, truck and van drivers, and towing vehicles – must take extra care in exposed areas. Strong wind gusts don’t just affect your driving. They can create other hazards like treefalls, downed powerlines, and blown debris. Check weather and road conditions before you travel.
- Work continues on new raised pedestrian crossings in Wairarapa.
- If you are a regular traveller on State Highway 2 Remutaka Hill, make sure you put the 2024 planned maintenance closure dates in your diary.
- The Wings Over Wairarapa Festival is running this weekend. Expect more traffic on State Highway 2 between Wellington and Wairarapa and allow for extra travel time.
- There is good news for those travelling between Blenheim and Nelson, and also over the Tākaka Hill. Contractors have now completed work on State Highway 60 Takaka Hill and State Highway 6 Rai Saddle. The Rai Saddle slip repairs have finished roughly three weeks ahead of schedule due to the recent good weather.
- Work will also be finished before Christmas on a major road reconstruction at State Highway 6, Foxhill
The details below outline the main planned state highway roadworks occurring in the greater Wellington region and the top of the South Island over the coming week (from Saturday, 11 November). Further details about regional state highway conditions and roadworks are also published on our website:
NOTE: Roadworks are dependent on weather and other factors. Bad weather can see work postponed to the next suitable night in the works programme.
The details in the PDF linked to below cover the period Saturday, 25 November to Friday, 1 December
View/download the planned state highway roadworks - 24 November 2023 [PDF, 276 KB]