CONTACT CENTRE WAIT TIMES: Our Contact Centre is currently experiencing significant wait times. View frequently asked questions

SCAM ALERTS: Report a phishing scam or learn about the latest phishing emails

ROAD USER CHARGES (RUC) DISCOUNT: Find out more about the temporary RUC reduction scheme

ONLINE SERVICES: We are currently experiencing issues with all our online services at the moment. We are working to resolve the services as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services, extensions and more

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

The Land Transport Amendment Act was passed on 3 August 2017 and includes a couple of changes affecting drivers and providers of large passenger services (13 seats or more, including the driver), such as buses. Other requirements for drivers and providers of large passenger services, such as vehicles requiring CoFs, remain unchanged. 


From 1 October 2017, Passenger Service Licences no longer exist and are replaced by either a Small Passenger Service Licence (SPSL) or a Large Passenger Service Licence (LPSL) or both.

If you previously held a PSL, we automatically issued you with both new transport service licences at no cost.

If you do not currently have a PSL and you intend to run a passenger service using large passenger service vehicles, you need to apply for a LPSL. You need to hold a Certificate of Knowledge of Law & Practice in order to be granted a LPSL.

The P (Passenger) Endorsement course

You are still required to hold a passenger (P) endorsement in order to drive a large passenger service vehicle but you no longer need to sit a course as part of the P endorsement application process.

You must have held your full New Zealand licence for two years before you can be granted a P endorsement. No further driving test is required to get your P endorsement (previously a driver was required to re-sit a full licence test if five years had passed since the test was taken).