Licence endorsements

To safely drive some kinds of vehicles, or to provide certain kinds of services, you need to have special knowledge or training. A licence endorsement on your driver licence shows that you’ve completed whatever courses or qualifications you need for that endorsement.

You can get a D endorsement on your motorcycle licence, which allows you to carry dangerous goods.

Getting an endorsement

Renewing your driver licence

The date your licence classes expire is shown on your licence. If you want to keep on riding after that date you’ll need to renew your licence.

We’ll send you a renewal reminder letter about 6 weeks before your licence is due to expire. You can get a renewal form from any driver licensing agent.

Application for issue or renewal of driver licence form (DL1) [PDF, 204 KB]

Driver licensing agents

If you’re renewing your driver licence beyond your 75th birthday, you must present a medical certificate and (if recommended by your doctor) pass an on-road safety test.

Renewing for seniors

Replacing a lost, stolen or damaged licence

By replacing or renewing your lost or stolen licence quickly, you’ll reduce the opportunity for it to be used in identity crime.

You can apply to replace your licence at a driver licensing agent, or if you have a verified RealMe identity, you may be able to apply online. If you can’t do either of these, contact us to cancel your licence.

Replacing your licence

Driver licensing agents

International drivers

If you hold a current and valid overseas driver licence, you may be able to ride for up to 12 months from the date you last arrived in New Zealand.

New residents and visitors

Converting to a New Zealand class 1 or 6 driver licence

If you hold a valid overseas driver licence, you may be able to convert it to a New Zealand driver licence.

New residents and visitors

International driving permits

If you have a New Zealand driver licence and want to ride in other countries,  an international driving permit (IDP) is recommended for most countries.
Check the New Zealand Automobile Association (AA) website for an up-to-date list.

Note: an IDP isn’t a driver licence – it’s a translation of your driver licence and must be carried with your licence to ride legally in other countries. Your IDP will be valid for a maximum of one year from the date of issue. You can apply for an IDP through the AA.

AA website(external link)

Travelling overseas

Make sure you check the expiry date on your licence if you’re going to be riding overseas, because your New Zealand licence can’t be renewed from overseas.

If your licence is lost or stolen while overseas, you can apply for a replacement.

Kiwi driving overseas